Monday, July 1, 2013

Off Synthroid and on Tirosint

Lots of Inspire folks are asking me about my experience on Tirosint.  For those of you who don't know, Tirosint is a relatively new drug formulation.  It contains the same active ingredient as Synthroid known as T4 (Thyroxine).  When T4 kicks off an iodine molecule it becomes T3 (Triiodothyronine).  Anyway, ingredients of Synthroid, besides the T4, are: 
Acacia, confectioner's sugar (contains corn starch), lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone, and talc. Then colors are added depending on strength of the tablet.  These colors include FD&C Yellow No. 6, Aluminum Lake, Red No. 40, Blue No. 2, Yellow no. 10, Red No. 27, Red No. 30 and Blue No. 1.

The ingredients of Tirosint are T4, gelatin, glycerin and water. 

So I switched to Tirosint after my February appointment.  I immediately saw an improvement in brain fog (less of it).  Then I noticed that the symptoms of being hyperthyroid were setting in.  I had no change in dosage with the switch, but the manufacturer recommends lowering the dose.  Symptoms of being hyper for me this time were insomnia, heart palpitations and intolerance to heat (even worse than usual), plus loose bowels.  I know, too much information.  But this is real for us ThyCans.  I wasn't sleeping much and when lying in bed I was roasting, sweating, etc.  I also had added one Brazil nut per day for the Selenium to help with T4 to T3 conversion.  The brain fog was gone but I was starting to feel like I was burning the candle at both ends...and I was because since I could not sleep much I was working.  I got pretty run down and ended up with shingles.  When I went in for that, I had my TSH tested and it was too low so I called my Endo and he lowered my dosage of Tirosint from 137 four days per week and 125 three days per week to just 125 every day.  He let me skip a few days inbetween when I made the switch.  I had helped myself to skipping two days so I could get some rest.  He suggested another two days.  Since on the new lower dosage, I feel much better.

The other interesting thing is that I'm better able to manage my weight.  I went through a number of celebratory meals and did not gain anything and recently I've lost about 6 pounds following Weight Watchers.  But it's not just the Weight Watchers...I live on WW.  I call it my weight maintenance plan.  It's hard to budge the scale.  But since switching to Tirosint I'm able to lose weight on WW like I did years ago.  Now, if only I can stick to the program ;-)

Anyway, that's my Tirosint story.  I like it!