Friday, November 16, 2012

Inconvenient, but not life-threatening

Day two of treatment was yesterday.  Instead of being in the Gonda building, I was in Charlton - the Methodist hospital.  Mayo is a large campus.  The only consistent aspect was the doctor.  I was prepped in a similar fashion only this time I had absolutely no nervousness.  The "fear of the unknown" factor was gone.  He treated three separate areas - the top of the peanut, the center and the bottom.  The node is peanut shaped.  Again, like the day prior, when treating the lower part it hurt more.  But it was very tolerable.  I felt a fullness, and random migratory twinges and pain here and there - but it was nothing that I could not handle.  The doc said it was up to my endo to determine when I return.  Likely 3-6 months.  I left with an ice pack on my neck and sat for 10 minutes just to let the ice pack work.  When I stood up, it was much more painful than the day prior - and they said it would be.  The node was already poked and I was already black and blue.  So we were re-injuring an already injured area.  My right neck and shoulder were sore and stiff, but otherwise I felt pretty good.  Swallowing hurt a bit.  We walked to the elevators and ran into another person who had just had his ablation done - he had two band-aids - one up high and one down low on his neck.  My dear friend Beth Anne spotted him first and said "Ethanol Ablation?"  Sure enough - same procedure but he comes to Mayo "all the time" to get this done.
We went to the Mayo building, 18th floor and met with my endo.  He asked me how I felt, how the procedure went, etc.  We chatted a bit and he said he'd like me back in 3 months vs. 6.  His reasoning?  A judgement call on his part because the node has a funny shape.  Also, that's about when he wants to retest my TSH, parathyroid hormone and calcium.  So, no appointment yet but I'll have one mid February.  I asked him "am I entering a time in my life when this is going to pop up all over the place now?"  He said "I've seen patients who have a recurrence in one lymph node, they get treated, and they are done."  I hope that's my path...vs. the man we ran into by the elevators.
The doctor wished me a Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels and said "I really think this recurrence is an inconvenience and not life threatening."  It was nice to hear - reassuring - yet we all know that cancer is sneaky business.  So I am hopeful and grateful to have had a wonderful experience...and praying with confidence that this is a bump in the road.  Yet, my guard will always be up.
Having done two neck surgeries, radiation ablation with 131I, the low iodine diet prep, etc. - I would HIGHLY recommend this procedure to others facing recurrent thyroid cancer in the lymph nodes of the neck.  I would HIGHLY recommend Mayo Clinic - it has been by far the very best medical team I've every encountered in recent history...on par with the original team in the Quad Cities who diagnosed and cured me.  That team had done their residencies at Mayo.
In terms of pain, discomfort, etc. for others considering this - yes, the pokes hurt.  But it's very tolerable.  I'd say the original poke with pain killer was a 3 out of 10 that lasts about 15 seconds..  I'd say the pressure of the injection was a 4 out of 10 that lasts 5 minutes - but not at that level for the entire time - more like bouncing between 2 - 5 for five minutes.  When I left, I would say the pain was more of a dull throb in the 3 out of 10 range that lasted an hour.  Later in the day it was more of a general soreness and ache - as if I had done too much yard work or pulled a muscle...in the 3 out of 10 range.  An occasional tug or pull here and there would spike the pain up to a 5 or 6 for a moment.  I've taken a total of three Tylenol during this process...and could take more pain killer if I wanted to.  I don't see the need.
Today, the day after the second treatment, I feel pretty good.  I get tired easily but it's hard to know how much is emotional tiredness vs. physical.  My right ear feels full and my neck remains stiff and sore, but not bad at all.  Sleeping in my own bed was a blessing and a big thank you to Beth Anne who stayed with me yesterday afternoon, then a big thank you to Liz who visited last night for supper and a big thank you to Miriam who "baby sat" with me all night long and is here with me now until my son, Alek, comes home.  It will be good to be all together with the family for Thanksgiving soon!  There is MUCH to give thanks for - Thank you Jesus for the gift of wonderful friends.  Thank you Lord for the gift of Amy who called yesterday. Thank you Holy Spirit for supportive family - Bob who regularly called from Europe, the kids checked in on me, as did my brothers and sister-in-law Jenn...and of course my parents who went to Mass a ton of times.  Thanks to Mary Ann for keeping my parents entertained and for her love and support.  Thanksgiving for all my Inspire.com ThyCa buddies for their support.  Thanksgiving for all my Facebook friends, coworkers, my team at work, my manager, etc.  If I keep saying thank you here I'll run out of space :-)  Let's just say the Thanksgiving Feast will taste extra special this year.
I will update this blog as things continue to unfold - likely in three months.