Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Not what I expected...

Some day I'd like to go to the doctor and hear "you're doing great, go home."  Thyroid cancer wise, I'm doing fine.  My neck ultrasound was clean.  There is a new nodule that they found which appears typical and normal, but we'll have to look at it again in a year...just in case.  My Tg cancer marker was 0.2.  The bottom of the detectable scale is 0.1 so this is considered to be so low that it's not significant. (I would have preferred undetectable like last time).  It's only significant if it continues to climb, so we check that in six months.  All in all, not too bad for a ThyCa check up.  TSH is 0.8 so medication level is fine.
So the appointment was going well until I mentioned I need a back fusion for the spondy (see prior posting). My surgeon suggested I ask the endocrinologist if there are some medications he might want to prescribe to increase the chances of bone growth and healing post surgery.  The doctor at Mayo fears the opposite...that my hyperparathyroidism may hinder the healing of the bone fusion.  Ugh.  If I walk more than about 100 feet, my legs go numb.  It's getting progressively worse and I need the surgery...and now this.  I scheduled surgery for May, so I have time.
Doctor wants me back at Mayo next week.  Tuesday a Mibi scan to search for the diseased parathyroid.  If that scan comes up negative, then we will do a 4D CT scan of the neck the next day.  Beyond that I don't think we'll do more "hunting."  If we find the diseased parathyroid, it will need to come out.  Finding neoplasms of the parathyroid (a cancer, very tiny, usually easily managed, rarely spreads) can be challenging due to their size.  But the impact is compromised bone health.  Watching and waiting is OK until you need a back fusion...
So, all in all a decent visit to Mayo, but the primary hyperparathyroidism remains an issue.