Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Count Down begins, yet again

Counting down to appointments at Mayo is always stressful.  Grandpa George used to say, when it came to doctor stuff, "Seek and ye shall find."  At the same time, I know that early detection is early cure.  I hope I am still clean from Thyroid Cancer.  I'll know more Wednesday and will post ASAP.  Wednesday a.m. I do fasting blood work.  An hour later I do a neck ultrasound.  In the mid-afternoon I see the doctor and get results.

I also go to see the back surgeon on Monday.  She's going to say the same thing she said last time - that I need to stabilize my back.  I did have a long chat with my PCP (primary care physician) last Wednesday about it and she agrees with the surgeon.  I asked how the back disease will progress...loss of bowel and urine control, inability to walk, wheelchair bound.  Great.  Fun.  Oh joy.  Note my sarcasm.

Mechanical issues don't worry me as much as cancer.  I figure I'm living long enough to have to deal with my back issues!  I don't feel I am in good enough shape to handle a 6 hour surgery and 3 month recovery.  So, I'm on a mission.  I will start physical therapy to get stronger and figure out how to exercise without hurting myself.  I'm back on Weight Watchers...well, I'm always on WW (at least I pay them every month) and I track what I eat...but now I'm eating within points range again.  It will come off slow, but hopefully I make some progress.  I'm going to investigate the new rec center in Waterloo - I'd like to be swimming or water walking - less stress on the bones.

As always, I'll keep my blog up to date.  Wishing all of you a happy and healthy New Year!