Monday, February 10, 2014

Mayo tomorrow and the next day...

Tomorrow is the sestamibi scan for the parathyroids.  I'm expecting they won't find anything since we did this test about 1.5 years ago and it was negative.  The hunt for the benign growth on the parathyroid is to "solve" the hyperparathyroidism (elevated hormone level) which will then hopefully lead to healthier bones and improved bone growth.  The next day is a 4D CT scan of the neck...for the same purpose.  These tests are pretty benign...a small dose of radiation for the "mibi" scan - like a dental x-ray.  While the stress of doing these tests is low compared to others I've faced, I'm still offering up the worry and discomfort for those who really are in need of it.  I have two people in my life, one in my work life and one in my family, who are facing some pretty significant cancers.  They happen to share the same first name, so I'm doing double duty when I pray for one of them - the other is automatically mentioned.
In the meantime, physical therapy is really helping me a lot.  I'm a lot stronger.  Pain level is not less in terms of overall pain level - some of the exercises actually make it worse.  But the pain I can predict (e.g. before I move a certain way) is now mitigated by first tightening my abs.  That action forms a corset about the spine and helps the spondy (slipping vertebrae) not get aggravated.  So, I remain hopeful.
More updates as things unfold...in the meantime, if you are so inclined, please pray with me for those who are really suffering with cancer in their life.