Tuesday, February 11, 2014

WE FOUND IT!!!

I'm in shock! The mibi scan today found the diseased (benign) parathyroid!  HOORAY!  Why didn't we find it in October of 2012? Doc says better scanning machines. WOW - Mayo really is AWESOME! The 4D CT for tomorrow is cancelled. The next step is to get referred by my PCP (primary care physician) to the Spine Center at Mayo to see if they agree with the local doctors that I do need a spinal fusion. Why? Because we won't do surgery to remove the diseased parathyroid unless I need to do the spinal fusion. Why? Because we don't remove diseased parathyroids unless the following criteria is met:

  • Calcium of 11 or higher. Mine is hovering at 10.1.
  • Onset of Osteoporosis.  I have Osteopenia.
  • Kidney stones or impaired kidney function.  My kidneys are fine.
  • Bone healing needs to be optimized as in a spinal surgery.  This is where I'm at now.

I am thrilled with the results today!  I thought for sure we would not find the diseased parathyroid. But we did!  To make matters even better - the neoplasm is on the left side of my neck.  The cancer was on the right, thus the scar tissue from the ethanol ablation is on the right.  If neck surgery is required, it will be that much less complicated.  The parathyroid that was removed accidentally during my total thyroidectomy and central neck dissection in 1996 was also on the left side (left upper).  It was removed, cleaned, minced and reinstalled in the muscle wall of my neck.  The doc does not think the diseased parathyroid is the one that was removed and reinstalled.  We reviewed the surgical notes together from 1996...first time I saw them.  The hospital faxed them straight to Mayo and I never got to read them.  It was fascinating and I always thought I had just a total thyroidectomy.  Apparently I also had a central neck dissection.  Surgeon did a great job because I've seen some pretty large scars when neck dissections are done.  My scar is barely visible anymore.  ;-)

So, home tomorrow and back to physical therapy, swimming and I'll update things when I know what's going on with the Spine Center.