Sunday, March 2, 2014

DEXA scan results

So I'm heading to Mayo Clinic on Wednesday to be seen in their Spine Center. In preparation I have to hand carry all my test results. They have all of them there already since I brought them last time, but not the DEXA bone density scan I did on January 31. So I finally tracked those results down (that alone is yet another story) and I am in possession of the disk. Of course, I popped the disk into my laptop and read the results. The good news is no significant change from the last scan several years ago. The bad news is the percent bone loss is significant. I have a T score of -1.5 in my lumbar spine and -2.4 in my hips. -2.5 is osteoporosis, so I'm on the bubble. I'M TOO YOUNG FOR THIS! But, hey, it beats the alternatives. You multiply the T score times 10 to get % bone lost - so I've lost 15% of the bone mass in my lower spine and 24% in my hips. Risks for Osteoporosis (I have Osterpenia) and the risks I have or don't have:
Family history - yup
Hyperthyroidism - yup via overdosing on thyroid hormone replacement for 18 years
Hyperparathyroidism - yup
Menopause - yup thanks to surgery in 2006
Smoker - nope - at least I got something going for me ;-p
So, you add that all up and it's no wonder I am so osteopenic.

I'll be at the Spine Center at Mayo Clinic on Wednesday. I'll post after that with more results. In the meantime I'll continue to offer up the back and leg pain for others worse off. I'm giving up Facebook for Lent - I'd prefer to give up pain!