Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Calcium is too low!

The tell-tale signs of low calcium - tingles in the fingers and around the mouth.  I've had that for several days so I went to the local doctor for a blood draw.  My calcium had dipped to 8.4 (normal at the local lab here is 8.8 - 10.5).  So I called Mayo Clinic and they said it's low, not dangerously low, but must be addressed.  They asked if I was taking calcium.  Yes!  Lots of it!  But the source is calcium carbonate and they prefer I switch to calcium citrate which absorbs better.  The issue with the calcium citrate is I can't swallow the pills...even the "petites."  My neck is swollen from surgery and I got one of the pills stuck in my throat and had to hack it back up (sorry for the visual).  Mayo said I could grind them up.  So, I need to take just shy of 6000 milligrams of calcium a day - split up into three doses.  That translates into 15 Citrical Petites a day.  I ground up 5 of them and mixed it with applesauce and that was my appetizer before dinner.  I'll keep pushing the calcium.  If no change in symptoms, I'm to have the local doctor draw calcium and parathyroid hormone on Monday.  In the meantime, I'm feeling pretty well (except for the tingles).