Monday, January 4, 2016

Paratrooper

All of us who deal with parathyroid issues are paratroopers in the war on parathyroid related diseases. In preparation for surgery at Mayo Clinic next week, I've had to give up my Aleve...I take it twice daily and occasionally another one mid-day if the pain is really bad. Oh how I miss it!! It's hard to type - hand pain - like my hands are 80 years old. Other bone pain that's awful is leg, hip, rib cage, shoulders and upper arms. What's left? I guess I can honestly say that my right big toe does not hurt. :-)
THANKFULLY I have work to keep me busy. I can honestly say that when I'm working, I don't feel any pain. I'm not sure how that works - but the distraction of thinking about what I'm focused on (people on the team, spreadsheets, PowerPoints, the meetings I'm in, etc.) seems to block the pain rather well. It's an interesting phenomenon and one that I should learn more about. Nothing else really blocks the pain other than doing some small crafts. I did lots of painted snowmen and Santas for Christmas - made them out of clothespins. As I sat and painted, I really found that the focusing on the details of the artwork made me not feel the pain. The pain is still there - it's just muted.
The downside is the rest of the time...ugh. I'm thinking that many people who deal with chronic pain such as fibromyalgia, should get checked for hyperparathyroidism and elevated calcium levels. I also think anyone with chronic ear ringing (tinnitus) should get checked for elevated calcium levels. The more I learn about this illness the more I start connecting the dots to what lots of people are going through.
Changing subjects, my Endocrinologist called me personally today from Mayo Clinic to tell me that my insurance will no longer pay for my Tirosint. Boo insurance company! Tirosint competes with Synthroid and contains just four ingredients: T4, glycerin, gelatin and water.  Synthroid contains T4, acacia (a gum that emulsifies), confectioner's sugar (??), FD&C Color Number (varies with pill), lactose (milk sugar), magnesium stearatepovidone (synthetic polymer that's used for dispersing and suspending drugs), and talc (as in powder). I like Tirosint - it helped me lower my dosage and I am able to see the scale budge when I diet - never see that with Synthroid. So...I'm switching back to Synthroid and my Endocrinologist will go to bat for me if necessary - but I'm going to try with Synthroid again...it served me well for many years so I really can't complain too much.
I'll update as the date gets closer - likely after I've seen the Endo and surgeon the day before surgery...