Saturday, April 30, 2016

Time for an update

First things first.  Since removing the diseased parathyroid, the deep down in the bone aches are gone.  YAY!  I had blood drawn last week and have some results - but I do not have my PTH (parathyroid hormone) because - guess what - THEY PUT THE BLOOD IN THE WRONG COLORED VIAL.  So, I have to have it redrawn.  This is super annoying because my calcium came back below normal - not terribly below - but below - and that number is more meaningful to interpret along with PTH.  I'll pop in and have my PTH redrawn this week sometime while running to and from physical therapy (see update below) and the results will be helpful - but not has helpful as being from the same sample that showed low calcium.  UGH.  So, I'm being more disciplined about taking supplemental Ca on top of dietary Ca.  My scars have healed well from surgery so all is good on that front and I'll know more when PTH is available.
My TSH creeped up to 0.7 - figures since I stopped Tirosint and went back to Synthroid.  Tirosint is just plain better.  But Synthroid is good too.  I'm trying to decide if I should just stay on my current dosage or ask my endo who might up my dose and I prefer a TSH of 1.5...and I'm at 0.7 - already low - and more Synthroid will likely push it to the 0.4, 0.5 range.  I might just stall ;-)
I had my chiropractor X-Ray my back and my Spondylolisthesis (L4/L5 instability due to a pars defect and weakening bones, causing a half inch slip when I move, resulting in lots of pain) is ever so slightly worse.  I mentioned that to my PCP (primary care provider) and she ordered Physical Therapy (PT).  YAY!
Wait, why am I saying YAY to bootcamp??  Well, I guess because I know it's good for me.  My PTist said she could order water therapy - i.e. in a pool!! - which would be great.  That can get me into the local High School's pool in the winter months when my pool is closed.  So I'm looking forward to that game plan for next September/October when we close up our pool.
Basically the PTist says that I'm pitched forward for multiple reasons:  1.  My hip flexors are too tight and shortening - so we are working on stretching those.  2.  My back is unstable - we knew that - so we are working on core strength.  3.  My hamstrings and piriformis muscles are also tight - making it harder to stretch my hip flexors.  So the routine so far is 10 minutes warming up on a stationary bike, followed by about 50 minutes of stretching.  One hour.  Here's the kicker - I have to do this THREE TIMES A DAY.  So that means finding three hours each day to help myself stand up straighter and help avoid a back surgery.  So some changes are in order around here...like any TV time (I don't watch much but I do like to watch the news and a few shows) is now stretching time...and meals need to be easier to make.
Speaking of meals, my A1C came in at 6.3 - NOT COOL.  That's definitively pre-diabetes.  I've been here before.  Watch the carbs, take off 10 pounds (very hard to do, especially now with my daughter owning a restaurant 1.7 miles from my house), and more fruits and veggies (which my tummy doesn't like at all).
So, no more time to type - need to go stretch!!  In the meantime, there are many more folks out there with medical situations far worse than mine - so I offer up my chronic pain for all of them.