Thursday, July 28, 2022

I switched to Tirosint - again

So I've been hanging out on Reddit in the r/thryoidcancer subreddit. It's a great environment of newly diagnosed and others dealing with the thyroid cancer journey. Reddit is a bit unique in that it tends to attract a global community who really want answers. Anyways, someone on Reddit wanted to know more about Tirosint and since it comes up often, I figured let me blog about it rather than answer questions as they come up. So, here goes:

I learned about Tirosint years ago at a ThyCa conference - there's one coming up in September - the 16th to the 18th - sign up at www.ThyCa.org/conference - it's FREE. Anyways, the folks who make Tirosint where there exhibiting and I learned that this formulation of levothyroxine (T4) contains only 4 ingredients...the T4 itself, water, glycerin and gelatin. COOL! No dyes, no fillers, no lactose, no nothing! So, way back then, I switched to Tirosint. I think it was in or around 2012. I immediately liked it. I required less...I think I went from 137 mcg to 125 mcg. But my insurance didn't like it and I eventually switched back to Synthroid...then to generic levothyroxine...all driven by the insurance and my wallet!

Other things I liked about Tirosint - well, needing less was a big thing. But the brain fog was less and I had an easier time losing weight (when I tried...trying is key and I'm not good at it LOL).

So, fast forward to more recently. A friend of mine was put on Tirosint and let me know about a mail-order deal through the manufacturer themselves where it's only $50 per month. Whoa! I'd pay that out of pocket to get Tirosint...so I again switched. Relatively recently I was on 137 of generic levothyroxine. I was too hyper so we lowered it to 125...but I was still going hyper so we dropped even lower but with the switch to Tirosint, my endocrinologist suggested 100. Whoa! That's not much!! But I just did my bloodwork and my TSH was 0.9. I prefer 1.5 so it's still a bit "hyper" for me, but it's not technically hyper so it's all good.

So, that's my Tirosint story!